Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dance like no one is watching, even when everyone is

 
Some people go to clubs.  Some people go to discos.  Some people learn the foxtrot.  Some people take Zumba classes.  I go to the supermarket (or just about any other inappropriate public space for that matter).  

Big or small, the grocery store is my favorite place to dance.  Maybe it is the slippery floors or the wide aisles, but something about them puts a little jig in my step.  I cannot even help myself when I am in the local Albertsons, Save Mart or, in my case, Aldi.  I just need to get it out!

I like to do the running man in produce, the moon walk in frozen foods.  I am a disco queen as I pick up a few cups of yogurt and attempt the waltz while I search for pasta.  And don't even get me started on what happens when I find things from home that I miss and have never seen here before, such as Doritos.  I save my special "American Food!" dance for that.  You could possibly call it a dance explosion.

It embarrasses my boyfriend completely.  He can't understand it and never will.  Me?  Well, I have been doing it for years.  I started dancing in the mall with my best friend Danielle when we were just 9 years old.  But, here, in Germany, where people never leave the house in sweatpants unless it is a true 911 emergency, people don't just think I am a little odd--they think I am full out crazy.

But, you know what?  I don't care.  Not one bit.   I LOVE dancing in the supermarket (and the shoe store...and the pharmacy...and the bookstore) and I refuse to stop.  I don't care how crazy all the judgmental people in Lidl think I am.  And honestly, Peter, I saw you with a big smile on your face.  It is a happy thing.  It makes me happy and I bet it kind of makes you all happy, too! 

So, dance when you are in the supermarket.  It is liberating and it makes life worth living.  It makes other people feel good.  It makes the world feel like a wonderful place.  You might kind of like it and become a supermarket dancer like me!

No comments: