Monday, November 21, 2011

In honor of Thanksgiving week...

Autumn scene from a few weeks ago.  Brings to mind images of Thanksgiving.
Hi friends!  Did you have a good weekend?  I sure did.  Of course, it flew by...it always does.  Peter was home which was amazing.  He got a surprise visit from our friend Nico (remember my birthday surprise?) and we spent all day Sunday on our living room floor, watching re-runs of Big Bang Theory and catching up on Grey's Anatomy.  (Okay, I caught up on Grey's Anatomy; he played strange fantasy games on his PlayStation.  Boys.)  How depressing was the last episode? Seriously?!

Then late last night (after I was all depressed about poor Henry) I realized that it was the beginning of Thanksgiving week--in my opinion the best week of the entire year.  Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.  Christmas in the U.S. can be too hectic, materialistic and all about keeping up with the Joneses.  Thanksgiving, however,  is a cozy family holiday centered around being grateful for the blessings in your life and spending time with people you love.  It's by far my favorite holiday and the most beautiful and simple holiday in America.  So, yesterday, I had a little breakdown when I realized that everyone else is traveling home this week, buying turkey and making pies and I am stuck in a completely normal work week.

My Thanksgiving dinner in Germany last year.
I am not going to lie to you: I cried.  I sat in bed last night and I cried my eyes out to poor Peter, who looked at me helplessly (but sweetly gave me lots of hugs and kisses).  It made me so sad to think about everyone on her the home for Thanksgiving, everyone sitting around a table, eating stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes.   My heart is there but I am here, a busy week of work ahead of me, no one even knowing that it is a really special week for Americans.  How sad, right? 

What we woke up to on Thanksgiving morning last year--the first snow.
But, after my tears dried, I started to see my clearly and I decided I just have to make it a special week. I will have to do anything and everything Thanksgiving-y.  Yeah, I have to go to work but that doesn't mean I can't make this week festive.  I can teach my students about Thanksgiving and make hand-shaped turkeys in my kids courses.  I can watch every Thanksgiving episode of Friends there is.  I can cook a beautiful dinner for my in-laws on Thursday night.  I can decorate for Thanksgiving and then, this weekend, decorate for Christmas. 

J.J.'s Thanksgiving face two years ago at our pre-Thanksgiving dinner.  He LOVES turkey. 
And that is exactly what I am going to do, starting with my blog!  Get ready for a whole week of cheesy Thanksgiving posts.  And be sure to comment and let me know your tips and tricks for a wonderful, delicious holiday! 

No comments: