Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lighten up for spring

It's been a balmy (and surprising) 63 degrees here (17 degrees Celsius) the last few days and I definitely have spring fever.  I spent most of the day today arranging and rearranging my furniture and plan to spend tomorrow cleaning the house from top to bottom. 

For spring, I always change out my dark winter textiles and decor for lighter, happier and more brightly colored pillows and accessories.  This spring I am all about citron and bright pinks.  Here are a few tips for "springifying" your place (clockwise from top left):

1.  Change your pillow covers.
In the winter I use gold velvet pillow covers on my couch.  They're a little heavy, dark and stiff for the warmer months, so I recently switched them out with the citron West Elm cases above.  Any bright or happy color would work. The covers are currently on sale for $14.99-19.99 so they are a pretty inexpensive way to make a big difference. 

2.  Change out your art.
At Christmas, I put Christmas images in all of my frames.  In spring, I change out any darker, more winter-y art for bright florals or nature images.  You can find relatively inexpensive prints like this one on Etsy.com or you can make your own! (I like to use Graphics Fairy for making my own art...or I doodle it myself.)  

3.  Add fresh flowers. 
There is no better way to bring spring inside. (Photo courtesy of Oh Joy!)  

4.  Accessorize with a nature theme. 
I like to use hooks or glass figurines in flower, bird and animal themes.  This hook is $10 from Urban Outfitters.  Deer, rabbits, birds and other woodland creatures are great!

5.  Spice up old furniture with a punch of color.
These bright green knobs from Hobby Lobby, which I just bought while I was home in California, would give some extra cheer to dark colored furniture or add a little whimsy to a boring piece. 

Do you have any tips for sprucing up your place for spring?  I would love to hear them!  I hope everyone is enjoying the first few days of this beautiful season!!

No comments: