Friday, August 10, 2012

Food on Friday: Watermelon, tomato and basil salad (aka summer in a bowl)


Most likely, as you are reading this, my plane is landing in Chicago and I am getting on a bus to head towards the Lake, my favorite place in the world.  Summer is truly summer there, and I plan to spend every minute of my time there celebrating the season.

This is definitely on the top of my "make for the family" list, as it combines two of summer's most special, most delicious and most precious treats: watermelon and tomatoes.  I got this recipe from my friend Laura, who is from the South and swears she got it from Paula Dean.  And, although it seems suspicious at first--especially for non-tomato fans like me--you should trust me that it is completely and surprisingly delicious.

I don't have an exact recipe for you, but that is the beauty of summer, isn't it?  The raw ingredients should take center stage and very little cooking should be involved.  In this case, the watermelon, tomatoes and the fresh basil are so good on their own, you hardly need to do anything.

I simply added chunks of tomato and watermelon to a bowl with a little sliced red onion.  On top of that I threw in a large amount of fresh basil.  Then, I cracked a bit of sea salt on top, added some crushed red pepper and a slash of balsamic and...voilà...you have summer in a bowl.

August has come so quickly and I am sure it will be gone before we know it.  Now is the time to savor every minute of summer and to prepare our bodies, our hearts and our minds for the winter to come.  What are you doing to drink in the last of its warm rays?  I would love to hear about it!

Isn't it gaw-geous? 

So delish!

Dig in!

No comments: